BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Sunday, February 08, 2009

Chilly Willy Duathlon....and the REAL race

The first multisport race of the season is done, thank God. It was ugly and painful, supposed to be I guess. I have managed to lose a lot of run fitness in my run break and it showed today. What showed more was my complete lack of power on the bike. I was really disappointed with my bike today but I realize that I've been working really hard on the bike over the past few weeks and I was really tired-legged. No excuses, just a "C" race anyway. I failed to win my fourth title here but lost to a very quality competitor, Rachel Chambers, who is racing as a professional in duathlon this year and a really nice girl. I managed to squeak out second overall thanks to my being pissed off on the second 5K run (because of my bad bike) and having to run down two girls who passed in me in T2. I definitely didn't feel anything close to good today but I really competed as well as I could and was happy with my overall effort. The Dane did really well, after he collected himself after a not-so-spectacular first 5K! He killed the bike (on his new-ish Cervelo P3) and went on the finish 7th overall for the men (second in his AG by a sliver). We had a good time and got to see a bunch of folks that we haven't seen for a while which is one of the many reasons this sport is so cool. Val from Outspokin was awesome as the sponsor and, in doing so, this race has grown to be the second biggest duathlon in the country (second to the national championship). Thanks also, of course, to Fred and Joe as RD's putting on another most excellent event! They are really top notch and put on, I think, the best and most organized multisport races in the country. I also have to mention something that has been foremost in my mind all weekend. Wendy J. of MSM (great race director) suffered a very serious medical event this week. She is doing the REAL race, the race for life. We did a moment of silence for Wendy today and I thought about her often during my race. I'm doing something that she couldn't do today and I wanted to make the most of it. I also want to mention that Wendy gave me entries into her races before she ever met me - she believed in me and wanted me in her races and believe me, that goes a long way in my heart. So, lots of prayers for Wendy.
Anyhow, I have some hip pain now from my new orthotics and need to deal with this and get this better. I don't think it's anything serious, just may need to take a couple runs off -something I hate, of course. On a good note, the achilles feels fine and trust me, I tested it today! Congrats to all who raced today and toughed it out!

1 comments:

donnaska said...

good job, ol' gal!

ds