BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Sunday, August 02, 2009

4 weeks to go

We are in the middle of the heat of IM training. It's hard. Every morning comes with groaning and slowness. We do it anyway because it's what needs to be done, basically. If you want to be good, to compete, you have to get up and keep going. The really hard thing, I think, is to keep going after hard, stressful work days. That's what no one sees and doesn't get factored into the "training time/stress", but it's a factor, I assure you. But, you might ask, why do it then? I don't know. Everyone's answer is very personal but I just like pushing my body to the max and seeing what I might learn about myself, how do I handle real pressure and misery. I get a lot of pleasure from a long day of work, training the body, pushing the boundries and maybe too far sometimes. It's likely rather sick but it is what it is. I feel most fit and "healthy" (not mentally, of course) when in this place. You walk into a public place and know that you can out run/bike/swim anyone in the joint for the most part - in a Darwinian world, that's pretty powerful. But, I digress. We had a good week of training. Long run was faster, at lower heart rate. Long bike in the hills with longish brick was brutal in the Florida heat but it prepares us for anything (except cold). Ride today was good tempo and tolerable. Definitely earning the taper but it's a couple weeks off. Staving off further injury for the most part. The foot is holding up pretty well, off all orthotics. I'm very happy about that! Got to SUP for a little bit today but conditions weren't great - pretty breezy with a lot of chop but we managed a bit of time on the boards but relaxing on the beach is our real reward for a hard week. To get back at it again tomorrow for sure. Light at the end of the tunnel for now though.
Cheers.

0 comments: