BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Monday, December 17, 2012

Holiday Halfathon 2012

pre-race, faking not being nervous!
Eight days ago I ran the Holiday Halfathon for the first time.  Great race, pretty much flat, strange time of year.  Never did this race before because we are usually coming off a full triathlon season and needing a break.  But, in my new run focus, this was going to be a good test of current fitness.  I hoped to get a fitness boost from Turkey Trot 10K two week prior and had a few longish (not marathon long) runs under my belt so felt it wouldn't be a disaster anyway.  The top gals overall were returning and I mostly focused on trying to run with Terri Rejimbal, whom I consider to be the best masters female in the state (and she runs a lot of half marathons!).  This was to be only my 5th 1/2 marathon in my career so the experience level is lacking a bit!  So, my goal was to try and pace myself off someone a lot more experienced than myself, Terri.  I realized this could be a really bad idea if my fitness wasn't where I hoped but figured I was going to give it a go.  Weather was seasonably warm, very humid with light winds.....kind of perfect.  Gun goes off and, boy, some of these girls were out very fast!  I had to go along and not let my goal trot up the road without me.  I stalked and stalked and the pace (6:3x at the time) felt ok but I knew I wouldn't be able to hold this the entire time!  Yada, yada, yada, I caught up with Terri on the later miles heading up the Pinellas trail.  I sat on her and just let her dictate the pace which was likely very annoying but it's the only chance I had!  I made a move on a short overpass a couple miles (or so, it's foggy now) and got a little bit of a gap, good stuff.  Felt pretty good with this until about 12 1/2 miles when suddenly, my damn feet were glued to the pavement.  Terri went around me fast and I had no response and just trotted in in third overall.  Not a bad result all in all but was hoping for second (first place gal was way ahead, she ran Olympic Trials marathon last Jan).  Reviewing my heart rate data showed I really went as hard as possible so no disappointment here.  I do recommend this race, it was a lot of fun!
Started Boston push this past week once I recovered from the soreness of the Halfathon!  So far, so good with 17 weeks to go!  Plan on racing Clearwater Halfathon in Jan.
oh boy, I'm hurting now!

Wishing all a peaceful Christmas and lots of running........oh, that's just us!
Cheers!

0 comments: