BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Sunday, August 22, 2010

From 0 to 70.3

In six weeks....
Well, that's the plan anyway. We signed up for Augusta 70.3 several months ago when I felt my hammy was healing sufficiently and I felt I had time to make a nice, long build for a 70.3 race. And race it. I mean, race it. Then, I broke the ribs and had two full weeks of no training, no anything except dragging my sorry, suffering ass to work every day to pay for all these entry fees that I have wasted over the past year. No swimming for a couple of months, too painful. No cycling for almost the same time span for the same reason. So, I have been able to run some which makes me happy. And then, I started to see how much I could extend the run before I started having problems. Well, I could extend the run with the usual 40-something problems but no injury problems. So, I decided, literally last weekend, to make a push for 70.3. Why not? I am tolerating the running but not banking a lot of miles but, then, I never do or typically require that. I'm a minimalist runner (thanks, Lisbeth K., for the nomenclature). So the goal now is to extend the long run to 11 or so, I can fake 2 measly miles at the end of a half ironman for God's sake! But the bike fitness is sorry now and I have been out of the pool forever it seems. Luckily, the race is a down-river swim (unless this changes, please don't) with a wetsuit, hopefully, so I will survive anyway. Got a new Orca wettie that I have yet to put on but it is a beaut (thanks, Val)! The bike.....well, that's the big question now. Trying to get TITS (no, actually, time in the saddle) but I won't be fast, that is for sure. Just not enough time to gain power/fitness and I recognize this. I mostly want to be absolutely sure I won't re-injure myself on the run. So, I keep running. Slow but sure. Enough to cross the finish line on 9/26, that's all I need to feel that I'm "back", for real. No goals for time or placing. My goals are much later than this. Half mary in November. Thinking going back to home and doing Pikes Peak Ascent next summer. We'll see. Being able to make plans and goals for me is huge. I'm less depressed already! Moving forward.
Cheers

0 comments: