BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Sunday, March 06, 2011

Triathlon training...harder than run training!

Ok, been absent for a bit. Trying to be a multisport athlete again. I loved my run season and had a really good go but now it's time to add the swim and the bike (God, help me here) to the running. We have MIT (Miami Int'l Tri) in two weeks which will be a swift kick in the pants for the start of the season. Usually, Chilly Willy is the benchmark prior to St Anthony's but now we've entered big time and doing MIT. That said, Chilly Willy Duathlon is the biggest duathlon in FL and MIT is only now part of the 5150 series so will likely be competitive as well. I do not like to shy away from competition. I fully expect MIT to have some fast competition but that's why I'm going. My goal is to qualify for Hy-Vee which is the "National Championship" olympic distance race later in the summer. I'm in good run shape, ok swim shape and working on the bike. I'm sure I'll be in a lot better shape than I was for the Key West Tri! Pretty regimented with the training right now. Three to four swims, four bikes and four to five runs. But, I'm mindful that my "peak" race for the first half of the year is Florida 70.3 in middle May. We rode nearly 80 in the hills yesterday which is the longest ride since Aug '09 when I tore my hammy. It was not easy and I got dropped a bunch but I'm happy with the numbers I later found on my SRM. Getting there. We did a 2 hour ride (waited for the rain to stop) followed by a 7 mile run. Ran well on super tired legs and that was the goal. We did the Belleair Sunset 5K run last Sat night which was really hard due to AM swim and ride but I managed second overall female. I wanted to get sub 19 but not quite......but close. Too tired which is why I say multisport training really is so much harder and adds so much more fatigue in general than run training. Having not raced triathlon most of 2010, I'm realizing how hard it really is on the body. You tend to forget after so much time training and racing. Will keep it going then roll into MIT untapered for the most part (I tend to race better that way) and go for that qualifier! We'll see.
Cheers

0 comments: