BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Saturday, November 25, 2006


TURKEY TROT REPORT

We decided we were not too sore anymore to do the Turkey Trot on Thanksgiving morning. Didn't do anything all week prior except a 3-mile run on Weds morning for a quick quad check. Nope, not sore anymore. I decided to run the 5K because I don't think I have the motivation for a 10K at this point. It was chilly at the start, low 50's, but perfect for running. Lined up at the front with the rest of the mob and off we go. The first mile is mostly a gentle down hill which levels off in places but is a straight shot. Went through there in 6:05. What! What am I doing running that fast when all my training all summer and fall was slower than 8-min/mile pace. Oh well, my legs felt pretty good but I was starting to breathe hard around mile 2, 12:35... slowing down now! Figured at that point I could break 20 minutes if I don't slow down anymore, easier said than done! I did manage to come in at 19:56 which I was very happy with. I haven't gone under 20 minutes for a 5K in a few years. Yipee, another coffee mug (award for top 100) to stack in the cupboard. The Dane ran well also, getting close to going under 19 minutes. He decided to run the 10K also and I figured I would start it really slow and stop if I didn't feel great. I got injured two years ago getting greedy with both races to I'm pretty cautious about that now. I turned off the jets after going through the 2-mile marker and ran back to the start in time to see him finish. All in all, another fun event to kick off Turkey Day which we spent with the Tavenese crew, feeding us awesome food as usual. I'm pretty sore in the calves now so we will just be riding through the weekend, no running until Monday. Then, I'll start just doing some shorter (4-6 miles) runs most days of the week. Have to get back in the pool eventually, probably not this week though. December training will consist of running frequency to keep the legs durable, weekend riding, and back in the pool in another week or so. Gotta go and work on the garage, our project for this weekend. GO GATORS!

1 comments:

Cyndi Frailing Nelson said...

CONGRATS to you both!!