BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Thursday, March 06, 2008

Swimming and power lifting

Ohhhhhh, can I say painful combination! I have been on this strength training program for 3 1/2 weeks now, it's more based somewhat on power lifts and the remainder on moving your own body weight and dynamic resistance. It is killer and I'm spending more time in the gym than I ever have. I hope it's getting me stronger because I am truly sore after each session. The exercises change every session so the body doesn't adapt so easily and one can continue to make strength gains. Anyhow, I'm doing all this while ramping up my swimming, biking and running. Training on the bike with the power meter is becoming like another weight session and is quite demanding but every session is quality - no junk miles here! Running is coming along slowly. Did almost 7 miles yesterday with 3 x 7 min tempo in the middle. I'm not fast but I'm working on it. Swimming is challenging when paired with the weight training. However, I'm getting faster, I think. Had a 1000y TT in the pool this morning (done solo) and averaged 1:25 pace for the distance. I think that's some sort of improvement for me. It's not fast by any stretch but it's not so long ago that I was using 1:40 as my aerobic "T-pace". And, the fact that I'm in to middle of massive weight training AND able to swim faster is really positive! I think the technique work I'm doing is really helping me to not always try and muscle through the water. I am pumped that once I go to a maintenance phase on the weights in 6-7 weeks, I'll swim way faster. It is really fun because I used to be such an aweful swimmer. Just shows what dedication, consistency and drive can do to turn a weakness into a potential weapon. Now, if I can just ride the bike faster and not lose all that wonderful time I'll gain in the water, I'll be all set!
cheers

0 comments: