BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Sunday, January 23, 2011

Clearwater Halfathon 2011

If it seems like we are racing every weekend, it's because, well, we are. Just about. I feel I'm making up for being off all last winter running season. Apparently, taking the better part of a year off has been extremely beneficial for me in a lot of ways. First, I likely needed the rest - apparently, I cannot handle an Ironman every year, at least, not for long. I'm not known as being durable! Second, I now realize what training I can handle and and the need to listen to my body (shouldn't be a revelation but...). I am training by feel now with very little structure. We started focusing on the running for December with this half marathon being the end of the focus and it was really good. Very cold morning (for us) in the mid-30's with wind chill colder than that and I definitely under dressed! Sort of forgot how long you are out there during a half marathon! I haven't run a half since this race three years ago! After last week's sub-40 10K, I knew I was in pretty good run shape. Wasn't really sure about the endurance as we haven't done very many long runs to get in a good 13.1 mile result. That's where I really struggled today. The course is deceptively difficult (for Florida) with 4 x bridge climbs/descents. I really struggled to hang on to the Dane in the headwind section and managed to get a little draft heading north up the beach which was really helpful (I did have to run hard to catch him prior to that section!). I was sitting in forth until heading up the last bridge when I was dying and couldn't follow, just surviving! I finished just after the Dane - he made up the 12 seconds I got on him last weekend! Went sub-1:28 which is closest to my PR (from nearly 20 years ago) than I've been in a really long time! I won Masters and the Dane won Grand Masters. Very happy, very tired and will be very sore! Time to get on the bike and get in multisport shape. As much as I'd like to keep running/racing, pushing the run speed, I am a triathlete and am hoping to be able to run faster this year off the bike. Next race is Chilly Willy duathlon in three weeks. Can I get in bike shape in three weeks? Yikes! Should be interesting.....
Cheers

0 comments: