BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Sunday, January 16, 2011

The Sub-40

Honeymoon Island Adventure Run

Also known as the St Pete Beach Classic 10K race report. This race has a big place in our hearts. I won't go into great detail but Wendy and Al Johnson began this race back in 2004 (I think) and Wendy died from metastatic melanoma and the race went on hiatus last year, for obvious reasons. The race was re-introduced this year and was certain to be on my calendar. I didn't know Wendy as well as most, but what I knew was a women with a lot of vision and a huge heart. She has been missed by a lot of people and still is. We were so grateful that this wonderful event made a comeback! The course is a fast, flat one, suitable for a fast time. The Dane highlighted this race to go sub-40 several weeks ago. He was doing all the workouts needed for a sub-40 finish and was nailing them all. Me, well, I just kept running. I did do the tempo runs (which I think are gold) but didn't do the interval work as this is usually injury bait for me. I like to use races as hard workouts because, well, they are! The race last Sunday was very hard because it was off-road and I was a bit sore but MY goal race to end the winter run block is next weekend's half marathon. I pretty much trained through this past week but did lower mileage to not be totally trashed in the legs. Got up Saturday morning and my legs feel tired and pretty terrible. Oh well, I think, this isn't my goal race, just a good, hard workout. The weather was perfect, a little cool and breezy but nice. Went out way too fast but felt pretty good. The Dane went up the road as he was trying to tack on to the front pack but they proved to be too fast for us so he, and I, ended up in no man's land. Not good. I did get another guy to run with, bridged up to the Dane and decided I could handle this pace. Could I go sub-40? No way, I thought. But, I was going to hang on as long as I can. Nearing the 5K mark, I could feel the pace slacking slightly so went in front and tried to drive it. I did gap the Dane a bit but felt he would catch back up to me. Decided I was gonna go for it. Yada, yada I really suffered the last 2 miles but I came in 39:40 and was 4th overall woman and won Masters. The Dane also broke 40 so it was a really successful day! I tried to look back at the last time I broke 40 minutes for the 10K and I cannot find anything. It is way off my PR but that PR was when I was 22 years old! I realize now that I just don't run a lot of 10K's! They are hard. One more running race to finish the winter run block (except may do Gasparilla 15K end of Feb) which is next Sunday, Clearwater Halfathon (half marathon). Started back swimming and cycling now and hard to fit it all in. I realize that run fitness doesn't cross over to bike or swim fitness!! I am super grateful to be healthy and running full gas right now. Hoping I can translate this to triathlon later in the spring!! We'll see....
Cheers

1 comments:

BriGaal said...

Awesome, Kathy!! I am a tempo run lover, too, not so much when I'm running them but I think they are so important. Track workouts? Eh, I think too many triathletes do too many of them and they aren't as useful.

Glad you guys supported that race. Wendy is the reason for Marty and me getting together, and Al is a fantastic person.