BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Sunday, November 14, 2010

IM 70.3 World Championships spectator report

Another beautiful day in paradise!



This cat can run!!



Well......after party with Movember


Last year's winner and great gal, Julie D


(The Dane is in full Movember swing....http://us.movember.com/get-involved/)
I wish we had this race here for the rest of my life! It is so much fun to have the eyes of the triathlon world on Clearwater Beach. We've been blessed with this race here at home for the past five years and the weather has never been an issue. Ok, they moved the swim to the intracoastal last year but it could have been done in the Gulf. The race moves on to a new venue and time of year in '11 and I, for one, am no longer interested. Yeah, I am not a factor in the overall race or AG for that matter (though, I have been top 10), so my opinion is a sampling of one and likely nobody really cares. But, thankfully for us, a new race will blossom here next year on this same sacred weekend, 5i50! Yippee! In '11 the race plan is short and fast anyway so 5i50 will be great way to top off the racing year. (I am not misspelling, this, the "i" is included in the marketing material I've seen). So, if you want to go 70.3 World Championships in the summer, in the desert, miles from any real water, good for you. It's not for me. I know the folks from Ironman have needed to change some things with the 70.3 World Championship race so I understand it all but I don't think that the scenery can get much better than Clearwater Beach. I am speaking from a spectator's standpoint. We, as locals, even booked a room in the hotel by the finish line just to be near the action. We are likely to do the same for the 5i50 next year.
So, onto race weekend. Our great friend, Linda, was defending her title in her AG this year. We did some of her key long run sessions with her and she nailed them just like last year. She didn't have the day she wanted and ended up second this year but I thought she showed a great deal of grit to stick in there when she knew she wasn't going well on the day. We aren't pro's and nobody but us cares if we finish, do well, or quit on the day so sticking in there and making the best of the day is tough. We were a bit sad not to be racing but we didn't qualify and that's life. I was so happy to cheer on folks I know (and some I don't) and not be injured! I missed this race last year due to torn hammy and really felt down about it. I feel good now and am motivated to move on with getting fit for next season. There really is no off-season here, we are just starting running season so I plan to run myself into shape a bit! Turkey Trot, Autumn Fest 5k, Key West Tri, Say No To Drugs 10K is plan for the next 5 weeks. Whew! Tired just typing all of that. We will miss "our" 70.3 race here next year but will start a new tradition in "our" beautiful part of the globe. Come join us!
Cheers

0 comments: