BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Tuesday, July 15, 2008

IM Rhode Island 70.3


view from our hotel window

the race crew

view of beautiful RI coast

post race fun


Ok, finally a gory race report. I am kind of over this race, not physically, but emotionally. I was really quite upset about not obtaining a Clearwater slot but such is life and I need to be faster. Period. I don't know quite how to accomplish that with all I have going on in my day to day but I'll continue to push on and compete with what I have.
The race was well put on but a logistical pain in the ass. The swim start was roughly 30-40 miles from the finish and Providence proper. The drive over was made more fun with my weekend race mates and genuinely fast folks! I loved being able to share my many fears and anxieties with Laura and Linda and they really helped me out. Thanks gals! Anyhow, the race spanned essentially the entire state of RI! Swim was in Narragansett in southern RI and the finish under the Capitol stairs in Providence. I had some issues with packing/unpacking my bike and had to visit the expo instead of getting a pre-ride in on Saturday which I didn't like but had to live with. Registration was very smooth and well run (on Friday). We decided to spend Friday afternoon driving the bike course. We got lost numerous times so never really saw most of it but got the gist, its HILLY! The road surface left a lot to be desired as well, especially for a chickenshit rider like myself. We drove back out on Sat to rack the bikes, run the gears, etc. Back to "town" for dinner and an early night to bed. The alarm set for 3am so we can make the trek, yet again, out to the southern part of the state. Did a little 10 minute jog prior to pulling on the wetsuit then into the sea for a warm up. The wind started to really kick up during the night so the normally calm bit of water for the swim became quite choppy and wavy. Not a worry for me because I've been good about doing open water swims at least once per week. We had a great wave, women 40+ in the third wave. Guns off and away we go. I was sure to line up next to the scathing fast Lisbeth Kenyon - it was the last time I'd see her til the end! FWIW, she's my pick for Kona for our AG if all goes well. Anyway, I got a great start but missed the feet I wanted due to the waves separating everyone. Drank a bit of water on the journey out to the turn around buoy but once around that, felt quite. good. Counted strokes to keep focused and out of the water in 30:xx minutes, very good for me especially in rough water! Onto the bike and the very scenic course awaits. The first 20 miles or so ran along the coast and was beautiful. Apparently, I was doing too much sight seeing but I saw no other souls on the bike for many miles and sat up several times wondering if I was still on the course! I was and found the hills pretty soon which came with cross winds and gusts. That actually didn't bother me but I was really tense about the descents and poor road surface in many areas. I didn't really push it at any time during this ride and it showed. Anyhow, along the bumpy, crappy, fried chicken smelling area back to Providence, L & L came bombing past me and I was pretty dejected. Not for nothing though, they are exceptional cyclists. I got into T2 feeling like I could have done the loop again (not the feeling you want in a HIM). Scooted out of there onto the unknown run loop - out and back twice. I had been warned by none other than Lisbeth herself, thanks, about the wall of a hill on the first mile - almost couldn't believe it when I saw it. Way worse than Palani hill in Kona and longer. Frankly, there was no flat area on this whole loop which I actually prefer. I felt light and strong and ran quite steady the entire time. I had more trouble running down the steep hill than up it! I have the painful quads to prove it! Anyhow, I had a steady run and pushed hard and was honestly happy to finish under 5:10! Finished 4th in the AG and no Clearwater slot - have I rehashed that enough! The Dane had a hard day and finished a few minutes behind me. A household trophy for me but not what I wanted out of the day. I am extremely sore so I know I raced hard and should be happy about that. I think this will help me keep motivated for Kona - not that it's a problem. Gonna take a week or two to recover then start into IM training. I have thought about going to Cancun to try and get the elusive Clearwater slot but then I remind myself how much I don't even like the Clearwater course. Who knows, I'll figure it all out. I should not make any decisions now because the pain is still fresh. Congrats to Laura on her Clearwater slot! Brilliant! (you had to be there...). The Dane is off to Europe as I type and will have to pay his dues for being home for "so long". I'll be lonely but will survive. Enjoy the pics!
Kia Kaha

1 comments:

BriGaal said...

Great job, Kathy - you are a tough athlete and tough on yourself. It sounds like you had a fantastic swim and a run. It's very hard to put it ALL together on the same day. So what's wrong with just cheering for everyone at Clearwater and having a good time with a cooler beer? If you do that, maybe I'll fly down and join you - now that would FUN!! :)